Procyin

Dancing in the moonlight

• Regular
  • 3,135 posts
  • grey

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:40 PM

http://www.toronto-sanko.com/

Attached File  sanko_store.jpg   13.18KB   2 downloads

So I took the advice of yet another BlogTO article, and visited Sanko on Queen St. West. This was the first time I've ever been that far west on Queen (actually Cameron House was my furthest until today). So, in the article they recommend the onigiri there, and since I've never had onigiri I figured I'd give it a shot -- so I picked up a salmon one. It's definitely an interesting little treat combining two of my favourite items, salmon and rice. I don't know that I have fallen in love with it or anything but, I will definitely get another sometime.

Attached File  sanko.jpg   25.76KB   2 downloads

So, Sanko is actually a very unassuming place that has much more than my previous regularily visited Little Tokyo onn Augusta. Lots of food and snacks of all varities (Japanese, of course).

Oh, I also got some mango tea. Wow, I think I am in love with mango (heh).

Pokka Mango Tea = $1.49
C.C. Lemon = $3.48 (wow!)
salmon onigiri (in fact all three flavours they have) = $1.50

The post

If you're familiar with Queen West of Bathurst area, SANKO would probably have already made your radar.

A small Japanese, grocery and gift store which also sells ready to eat Japanese sushi humbly sits at the corner of Queen West and Claremont. It was introduced to me last year by a friend of mine after we got our coifs cut at Le Coupe Bizzarre a couple of doors down.

But aside from the rows of Pocky, jelly candies, corn starch cookies and the $0.75 Ichiban instant noodles (the best!), I keep going back for one thing.

May I introduce you to Onigiri.

A triangular sushi-like snack with a dash of a diversity of flavours including: Ume (plum), Seaweed, Beef, Salmon, Pickled Mustard Leaf and Bonito just to name a few. I picked up one in each flavour at $1.50 a piece.

The funny part is that it doesn't register on any greatness scale but for some reason, it still is immensely satisfying. Part of the fun is getting the seaweed outside the cellophane wrapping without needing to actually touch it with bare hands.

Try it out next time you're in the area and let me know which flavour you tried and what you thought.

SANKO - 730 Queen St W at Claremont.

6TvcuCJ.png

#2 Kenshin

Kenshin

Extreme Customer

• Regular
  • 1,660 posts
  • green

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:00 PM

Ya, I first visited that place YEARS ago.

Went there a few weeks ago, got tempted by the CC Lemon... but it's too expensive.
Does it make you happy you're so strange?

#3 Procyin

Procyin

Dancing in the moonlight

• Regular
  • 3,135 posts
  • grey

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

This place is now near my work!

Well, Sanko never moved, but my work did.

Went there the other day, but no onigiri.

6TvcuCJ.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users