6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

..almost there..

• Assistant Manager
  • 1,382 posts
  • pink

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

I'm sad I missed out on participating on Episode 003 -- but nonetheless, I do have an opinion on the matter, so here it goes:

When I first saw it, yeah -- I thought the typical thing most people think... "WTH?!"

And I'm talking about the mega-over-lacey super frilly 'doll-like' clothing.

But after that, I began to see some single elements of a style that I did kinda like... But shortly after, I'd see something else WAY over the top, and I'd again say "WTH?!" and the cycle would repeat...

So I kept looking for things I liked, then I began to look for the similarities in those things.

But before I get into that -- lemme clarify... I'm a typical guy.
This means I don't put much thought into what *I* wear, nor to I 'have a thing for girl clothes'. So what's the appeal?

It's simple: I like girls.

The stuff I seem to like seems to accentuate that fact that the person wearing them *IS* a girl, and a girly one too. The more girly the better.

The stuff I didn't like didn't say "I'm a girl" -- it more said "I belong on a shelf"

On the whole, I'm not even sure of the exact classification of the stuff I like is in the whole "EGL" umbrella (parasol?), but because it is so broad, there are things that I can't help but love.

#2 codichan^_^

codichan^_^

I fight for the Earth that doesn't care.

• Staff
  • 498 posts
  • pink

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(ChangoBoy @ Jun 23 2006, 06:12 PM)
When I first saw it, yeah -- I thought the typical thing most people think... "WTH?!"

Not me tongue.gif

But after that, I began to see some single elements of a style that I did kinda like... But shortly after, I'd see something else WAY over the top, and I'd again say "WTH?!" and the cycle would repeat...
You have to be specific! Your statement is confusing my slow brain sad.gif
Every brand and subgenre are different, but usually all have something in common.
But for every 10 good pieces, theres one ugly one, it applies to lolita too tongue.gif

The stuff I seem to like seems to accentuate that fact that the person wearing them *IS* a girl, and a girly one too.  The more girly the better.

Whereas I've seen some girls who wear the fluffiest of the fluffy and can still go to a visual kei band concert and headband and give the middle finger and pull it off ^_~

The stuff I didn't like didn't say "I'm a girl" -- it more said "I belong on a shelf"
Which I think says, "girliest of the girly". Most of the time I'm not a fan of hideously overdone works. Angelic Pretty and some Metamorphose pieces are pretty good at that.

On the whole, I'm not even sure of the exact classification of the stuff I like is in the whole "EGL" umbrella (parasol?), but because it is so broad, there are things that I can't help but love.

Depends on whether you actually like EGL style at all. I'm not such a big fan of EGL. tongue.gif

#3 Dave

Dave

..almost there..

• Assistant Manager
  • 1,382 posts
  • pink

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(codichan @ Jun 25 2006, 12:11 AM)
Not me tongue.gif
You have to be specific! Your statement is confusing my slow brain sad.gif

I mean I'd see a group photo of 3-4 girls and go "Huh?! Okay, that's nuts!!!...... but that girl in the right.... She's got a cute skirt..."

And I just kept finding like ONE thing that would keep me looking for more.

Every brand and subgenre are different, but usually all have something in common.
But for every 10 good pieces, theres one ugly one, it applies to lolita too tongue.gif

I'm notoriously picky, so the ratio is usually opposite for me. Again, that's why when I find something I really like -- it's a big BIG deal for me.

But as I'm learning more about what I like, that ratio seems to be improving.

Depends on whether you actually like EGL style at all. I'm not such a big fan of EGL. tongue.gif
View Post

Oh yeah -- I forgot what you said in the podcast... I had incorrectly been grouping all this stuff under "EGL" -- You said it was more correct to call it "gothic & lolita", yeah?

And for what it's worth the stuff I like seems to be Sweet Lolita.

#4 codichan^_^

codichan^_^

I fight for the Earth that doesn't care.

• Staff
  • 498 posts
  • pink

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(ChangoBoy @ Jun 25 2006, 11:45 AM)
I mean I'd see a group photo of 3-4 girls and go "Huh?!  Okay, that's nuts!!!......  but that girl in the right....  She's got a cute skirt..."

Oh!! I was like that too in the beginning ^^
Actually, in the beginning I liked more ouji (prince) boy style! The Gabriel Chelsea, Christopher Nemeth, Black Peace Now, h. naoto.. those were some of my first favourite brands! (they are all rather light gothic / prince style brands ^^)

And I just kept finding like ONE thing that would keep me looking for more.
I'm notoriously picky, so the ratio is usually opposite for me.  Again, that's why when I find something I really like -- it's a big BIG deal for me.
Like this jumperskirt?
Would that qualify as "OMGWTF??" or does it have things that you like in it?

But as I'm learning more about what I like, that ratio seems to be improving.

I find that as time goes on with any hobby, we all open up more! ^o^ A good link, if you feel like randomly clicking around and seeing what comes up, is La Pucelle. It's like the Japanese Lolita internet store/ webpage database. Indies brands, major brands, everything o.o

Oh yeah -- I forgot what you said in the podcast... I had incorrectly been grouping all this stuff under "EGL" -- You said it was more correct to call it "gothic & lolita", yeah?
^^; I didn't mean to be such a hard-ass about it, hehe. But yeah ._. EGL is Mana's thing, especially since brands like Angelic Pretty aren't elegant or gothic at all o.o Grouping it under gosurori just seems to be the best catchall, as I've found in my internet journeys. XD

And for what it's worth the stuff I like seems to be Sweet Lolita.
View Post

Wahaha!! I recommend (for viewing pleasure of course! ^_~):
Angelic Pretty
Heart-e
Chocochip Cookie

#5 Dave

Dave

..almost there..

• Assistant Manager
  • 1,382 posts
  • pink

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(codichan @ Jun 25 2006, 11:25 AM)

Well, let's see, that's a good example -- becuase I love the color, the white lace, the overall shape, the little ribbons are a big bonus too...
HOWEVER, I REALLY don't like that big bow on the front -- that kinda messes up the whole thing for me.

Would that qualify as "OMGWTF??"

I think the one defining thing that made me think "OMG, That's PERFECT!" was this:
snapshot20050911192745.jpg

snapshot20050911192223.jpg

And bonus points for the hair:
snapshot20050911193448.jpg

On the flipside...:
While this is my favorite 10 seconds of film -- EVER: (When she koos: "Kawaiiii....")
snapshot20060109002641.jpg
All of that is just way too much.

#6 ShounenNeko

ShounenNeko

New Customer

• Customer
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

I think any girl that can pull off wearing a bonnet in public is awesome.

So, I guess I like the gothic/loli clothing style.

#7 echan

echan

Panty scissors ATTACK!

• Staff
  • 1,152 posts
  • blue
  • PSN: totalsuperhippie

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:33 AM

think any girl that can pull off wearing a bonnet in public is awesome.
I whole-heartedly second that. Hot stuff.
DISCLAIMER: Posts often written in a drunken stupor.

Recent Music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users