Photo
- - - - -

Shimotsuma Monogatari

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 mollipen

mollipen

If this is all that life has to offer me, then I can do without.

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown
  • Xbox Live: pikoeri

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:44 PM

This is coming out early next year on DVD thanks to Viz, by the way. I've been talking to them, and they're helping me with some stuff so that we can do a nice write-up on the movie for the next issue.

#32 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:02 PM

Dangit. I was under the impression that it would be released in theaters around here, but the official site seems to have a very limited release scheduled.
Guess I can quit waiting and find a copy online...

#33 mollipen

mollipen

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:18 PM

You know... I just looked at the first post in this thread. 208 downloads? Wow.

#34 mollipen

mollipen

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:09 AM

481 downloads? Damn... and I think I might have found out why. We're ranked 5th on Google for "Shimotsuma Monogatari torrent." *heh*

Anyhow, I got the Viz DVD, and got done watching it a bit ago. I'm glad they brought it out over here, but... I'm not really pleased with the packaging (how can you take a movie with such gorgeous visuals and make such a drab DVD package?), and they've totally botched the subtitles in some parts IMHO. In typical Viz fashion, there will be times when the entire point of what is being said is shortened until it loses its meaning, or is missed entirely.

For example, near the beginning, when Momoko is talking about walking instead of riding a bike, in the fansub she says,

it would be faster on a bicycle, but I simply cannot do it, as it wouldn't be attractive. "Lolita can't do as one pleases arbitrarily."

In the Viz version, at that same part, she says,

It's faster by bike, but not as elegant. "In this outfit?"

Another example that hits right away is the opening scene, where she goes flying through the air. She specifically says "Goodbye BtSSB clothing," but in the Viz version, the subtitle says, "Goodbye BtSSB."

That kind of shortening happens all throughout the movie, and because of it, elements of what is said are lost left and right. Is it a huge deal? No, at the end of the day, it is sort of nitpicking. But for the fansub, the fansubbers seemed to try to put a lot of work into translating over Momoko's overly-frilly speech, where Viz didn't, and the way she talked and the specific things she said were important to her character. In the bike example above, it comes off are being more important that she just doesn't want to ride a bike in her dress, where she is actually making a point about the "rules" of being a Lolita, and those "rules" are an important factor in who she is at the start of the movie.

There is an interesting "Sideways Mode," where at different points during the movie, when a certain cultural topic comes up, you can have it show a cabbage onscreen, and hitting Enter on your remote at those moments will pause the movie and flip over to a quick explanation. There were six or seven of these throughout the movie, but most folks here who would be interested in this movie will probably already know about most of the details. Still, a nice feature for people watching who might not know so much about Japanese street culture.

The DVD is only $17 on Amazon, so I would definitely recommend picking it up and supporting Viz in bringing it over if you liked the movie. It is an utter shame, though, that the subtitles on the "official" release are so inferior to the fansubs.

#35 Meg-san

Meg-san

Regular Customer

• Regular
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:40 PM

Oh it's already out on DVD now? I'm going to have to try picking it up soon! Can't wait.

I saw the Viz version in the theater when they played it here in Vancouver, and I half-agree with you on the subs. The fansub (the one I watched at least) was very confusing in parts, and I had trouble understanding a few nitpick-y parts in the movie. With the Viz version, I was able to understand everything that was going on. But you're right-I really don't like the way that they subbed some of the lines (especially the one you mentioned when Momoko was walking to the station).
"With an unclean heart, I want to smash them to pieces
Dreams, hopes, everything, with these hands
What was it I was afraid of?"

#36 cuu

cuu

the morning was hazy

• Customer
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

ack, I was supposed to see it in 2004 when I was in japan but still haven't. I wonder if it will ever be released in australia..

#37 Meg-san

Meg-san

Regular Customer

• Regular
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:59 PM

Well Viz has released it in the US now.

I'm sure you'd be able to find a subbed copy on amazon.com or even ebay.
"With an unclean heart, I want to smash them to pieces
Dreams, hopes, everything, with these hands
What was it I was afraid of?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users