Photo

Music Osusume

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mollipen

mollipen

If this is all that life has to offer me, then I can do without.

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown
  • Xbox Live: pikoeri

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:07 AM

Note: Files posted in this thread will only be up for a short time. So, if you want them, grab them quick.

Artist: Sheena Ringo
Song: Meisai (Camouflage)
Album: Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana
File: Removed
Note:
I knew of Sheena Ringo before recently, but I really didn't know much of her music. However, her latest album, Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana, is an awesome album. It has a really different and unusual sound to it, and I think a lot of people who typically aren't into J-pop will be into this. (Partially since, to be honest, this really isn't J-pop.) Meisai is the main single from the album, and is a good example of what to expect from the rest of the tracks.

A bit of a note on names - technically, going straight by Japanese characters, her name is Shiina Ringo, and the album name is Karuki Zaamen Kurinohana. However, the romanizations I've used come straight from the CD. Since that is how they are printed on the English spine of the CD, I figured that is the more correct romanizations to use.

Another side note: When I purchased the CD, I didn't realize it was a Copy Control CD. When I realized that fact, I cursed that fact. (As my two CD players are both players that aren't supposed to support CCCDs.) I got Ayu's Rainbow ripped fine to my TiBook after buying it a few weeks back, but it made some horrible noises while doing so. As well, I've heard some nasty stories about CCCDs getting stuck in Macs with no way to then get them back out, so I'm fearful anytime one of these things gets near my computer.

I decided to try the trick I used before again - putting a small sticker over part of the second data track, in hopes that would stop it from being read. I crossed my fingers, put the CD it, it made some weird noises, and popped back out. No luck at all. Crap. So, tossing caution to the wind, I took the sticker off, and just put the CD in on its own to see what would happen.

To my surprised, trying to not circumvent the protection made things a lot easier. The audio tracks came up right away, as did the data track that sets itself into play to limit Windows users access. I could play the CD just fine, and ripped it just fine, except for one track. Which is actually kinda odd, because Rainbow was the exact same way - one track would play fine, but just would not rip no matter what I tried. But, just like with that Rainbow track, I opened that stubborn track in QuickTime, exported it out to an AIFF, and while at first I thought it might not work, it worked just fine.

So, I wonder if I was making too big of a deal out of this CCCD thing, or if OSX just has no problem dealing with them. *shrugs*

Artist: HALCALI
Song: Tandem
Album: Tangem [single]
Note:
Just broke down and bought this single a few days ago, partially because it was cheaper than the usual CD single. There is just something about this track, something that makes it addictive as all hell. The song is a billion times better if you can see it along with the PV (if for no other reason than to see the girls running around in Super Mario Bros.), but still, quite enjoyable.

#2 Gondolin

Gondolin

Sweet & Sour

• Regular
  • 451 posts
  • brown

Posted 02 April 2003 - 08:02 AM

Thought it'd be fun/interesting to see what you guys think of some of my favorite tracks, and maybe even turn ya'll on to something new. I'm going post two tunes a week; MP3 format, bitrates will vary.

Week of March 30, '03

**Please only download (by right-clicking/control-clicking and saving to your HD), and only once.**

Beach Music by Schiller (from their album Voyage) Removed

Wake up in New York by Craig Armstrong (from his album As if to Nothing) Removed

I chose a couple of mellow/chill tunes for this week. I only actually like a few tracks from Schiller's album other than the one above, but that whole Craig Armstrong LP, barring a couple of songs, is good.

Gon

Edited by Gondolin, 06 April 2003 - 03:25 PM.

[post="http://soundcloud.co...om/bed_head"]My SoundCloud Page (Click Me!)[/post]

#3 mollipen

mollipen

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown

Posted 04 April 2003 - 10:43 PM

Artist: Nakajim Miyuki
Song: Chijyou no Hoshi
Single: Chijyou no Hoshi
Note:
This is actually a bit of an older song, from back in 2000, but recently it has been getting a lot of play again in Japan. This is definitely not your traditional J-pop kind of fair. Miyuki is a bit of an older singer, and this song is a very powerful, more mature sounding track. I adore this song, and the video to go along with it is pretty cool as well. If you usually find most of the stuff we talk about around here too "fluffy," give this one a go.

Artist: Bon-Bon Blanco
Song: Namida no Hurricane
Album: Beat Goes On
Note:
After hearing this song, I couldn't wait until Bon-Bon Blanco's first album Beat Goes On was released. This is a really great track, and stands out from most of what you usually here on Japanese television. There are five girls in the group, and they all play non-"traditional" instruments - instead of the usual guitar, drums, and whatnot, you've got more Carribbean-style instruments.

Imagine my disappointment when I rented the album and found that the rest of the tracks not only did not usually include these instruments, but were little more than traditional J-pop stuff. Still, this track is great, if not a bit disappointing in hinting at what the rest of the album could have been like.

#4 Gondolin

Gondolin

Sweet & Sour

• Regular
  • 451 posts
  • brown

Posted 06 April 2003 - 03:59 PM

Week of April 6, '03

**Please only download (by right-clicking/control-clicking and saving to your HD), and only once.**

Boomerang by Cirrus (from their album Counterfeit) Removed

Gentle Rain (Jacked Hi remix) by Blackwatch & Greed (12" single) Removed

A couple of house/breaks tunes this week. Boomerang is the only track from Counterfeit that I've heard, so I can't comment on the rest of the album, and Gentle Rain's a vinyl-only track which, unfortunately, is impossible to get. Good stuff, give 'em a listen.

Gon

Edited by Gondolin, 13 April 2003 - 10:57 PM.

[post="http://soundcloud.co...om/bed_head"]My SoundCloud Page (Click Me!)[/post]

#5 Gondolin

Gondolin

Sweet & Sour

• Regular
  • 451 posts
  • brown

Posted 10 April 2003 - 05:36 PM

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I kinda like that Namida no Hurricane track... just don't tell anyone, okay? unsure.gif sweat.gif

Gon

#6 Gondolin

Gondolin

Sweet & Sour

• Regular
  • 451 posts
  • brown

Posted 13 April 2003 - 11:01 PM

Week of April 13, '03

In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country by Boards of Canada (from their In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country EP) Removed

Everything You Do Is a Balloon by Boards of Canada (from their Hi Scores EP) Removed

Aquarius by Boards of Canada (from their album Music Has the Right to Children) Removed

I'm not sure, but I don't think that many of you checked out the two tracks from last week's post (spook?), which is too bad because those were a couple of really good tunes - even as far as good tunes go. However, all's not lost... hit up Soulseek and DL 'em yourself.

Anyway, decided to post a few samplings this week, and this time all are choice tracks by one of my favorite duos: Boards of Canada (which should already be obvious). The album and two EPs that the above tracks come from are fantastic.

Gon

Edited by Gondolin, 21 April 2003 - 07:54 AM.

#7 BEAT

BEAT

Jag šlskar Morning Mayonnaise !!! <3333

• Assistant Manager
  • 1,097 posts
  • brown
  • Xbox Live: batsuro
  • PSN: bzzbzz

Posted 13 April 2003 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE(Gondolin @ Apr 14 2003, 01:01 AM)
I'm not sure, but I don't think that many of you checked out the two tracks from last week's post (spook?), which is too bad because those were a couple of really good tunes - even as far as good tunes go.

I really, really liked the Blackwatch & Greed song, and Cirrus' song was pretty good as well. Thanks for the great posts!

Thanks also to Shidoshi for your great posts. You were right about that Halcali song being hella catchy. I've gotta track down that PV. I think I have the video for that Bon-Bon Blanco song, but I have no idea where it is. Too many CD-Rs. Heh.

Hopefully soon I'll have more webspace available, so I can start posting some songs, and maybe videos, too.
even jerks got to pay rent

Recent Music

#8 Gondolin

Gondolin

Sweet & Sour

• Regular
  • 451 posts
  • brown

Posted 17 April 2003 - 01:44 PM

Cool, glad you dug 'em. I wish I could get my hands on a copy of that Gentle Rain 12". sad.gif

Do post that video sometime, if you're ever able.

Gon

#9 Gondolin

Gondolin

Sweet & Sour

• Regular
  • 451 posts
  • brown

Posted 21 April 2003 - 09:50 AM

Week of April 20, '03

My Life | My Lover's Gone by Dido (from her album No Angel) Removed

Thinking About Tomorrow | Ted's Waltz by Beth Orton (from her album Daybreaker) Removed

Protection | Hatfield 1980 vocals by Tracey Thorn (from Like the Deserts Miss the Rain and Temperamental, respectively) Removed

Final Home | Superheroes vocals by Esthero (from Kakusei and Breath from Another, respectively) Removed

Eh, I've decided to nix my own rule of two tracks per post. Anyway, this week I've posted two of the better tunes from four of my favorite female vocalists.

There are a few more really good songs from No Angel (two of which many of you have probably already heard at some point on the radio), so check the rest of that album out, and there're a couple more decent tunes from Daybreaker.

I ripped that Tracey Thorn track "Protection" from Everything But the Girl's album Like the Deserts Miss the Rain (a kind of "best of" and b-sides collection), but it's actually originally from Massive Attack's album of the same name. "Hatfield 1980" is from Everything But the Girl's Temperamental (EBTG is the production/vocal duo of Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn).

Esthero provides the vocals to "Final Home" which is from DJ Krush's album Kakusei, and "Superheroes" is from her own album Breath from Another.

For those of you who give a poop and have actually been checking out my weekly posts in this thread, enjoy. :)

Gon

Edited by Gondolin, 27 April 2003 - 08:58 PM.

#10 mollipen

mollipen

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown

Posted 25 April 2003 - 02:09 AM

I've been a Beth Orton fan for a while now, but haven't checked out any of her recent stuff. So am downloading now. Thanks. ^_^

#11 Gondolin

Gondolin

Sweet & Sour

• Regular
  • 451 posts
  • brown

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:20 PM

Cool. What did you think?

Week of April 27, '03

Shao by Plus One (from their album Bare Necessities) Removed

Nibble by Plus One (from their album Bare Necessities) Removed

Helix by Plus One (from their album Bare Necessities) Removed

"Plus One"'s Bare Necessities is a side project by the duo Plaid. I guess their type of music's considered IDM (intelligent dance music)? I dunno, but who cares about a label anyway... file under "good music." =)

Gon

Edited by Gondolin, 03 May 2003 - 07:22 PM.

#12 mollipen

mollipen

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:19 PM

While looking for a copy of one of Key-a-Kiss's albums for ChangoBoy, came across a different album of theirs - Delax - for $3. It contains two of their songs that have been featured in ParaParaParadise, but the mixes are somewhat different.

Artist: Key-a-Kiss
Song: Delux
Album: Delax
File: delux.zip
Note:
Quite different from the ParaPara mix - slower, less of a club dance beat. To be honest, I prever this version. Make that, I love this mix of the song.

Artist: Key-a-Kiss
Song: Aishiattemasu?
Album: Delax
File: aishia.zip
Note:
PRetty similar to the PPP version, but a bit different in some parts, and of course, the full-length verison.

#13 Gondolin

Gondolin

Sweet & Sour

• Regular
  • 451 posts
  • brown

Posted 30 July 2003 - 09:39 AM

Back! ...kinda.

Freetime by Kenna Removed

Redman by Kenna Removed

Hell Bent by Kenna Removed

Kenna's Chad Hugo (of The Neptunes)-produced album New Sacred Cow is tied with Hybrid's yet-to-be-released Morning Sci-Fi as my choice for album of the year.

Gon

Edited by Gondolin, 02 September 2003 - 09:30 AM.

#14 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

Well, IP 2.2 doesn't fix this, it seems...

#15 mollipen

mollipen

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

Fix what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users