3 replies to this topic

#1 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

Apple unveiled their latest iPhone revision, the iPhone 6 and the 6 +. They also announced they were going after the smartwatch market with the Apple Watch.

But quietly, they also discontinued the iPod Classic. The iPod brand still remains, but it's moved to the touchscreen, app-driven design that the iPhone pioneered.

I have mixed feelings about the transition. I loved my iPod Classic, I loved having a massive collection in iTunes that I could keep all in one place. 40+ hours of battery life. But when I damaged my iPod (it wouldn't read more than 10GB of data) and got a smartphone, I found the smartphone was good enough that carrying the iPod around wasn't worth it. I can't keep the collection all together, but I can keep what I'm frequently listening to. And for those earworms, or those random cravings, having those other apps around makes it super easy to indulgein instant gratification. I can load up Youtube, Spotify, Soundcloud, and I can listen to just about anything I can think of. And podcasts, that was the biggest thing that got me started with the smartphone. The podcasts just show up, I don't have to plug in this or sync that. The convenience of that alone makes me happy with leaving the iPod behind. And really, trying to manage 160GB of music with a click wheel? Watch video on that little screen?

So, does anybody even used a dedicated mp3 player these days, or is the smartphone too convenient? Do you care that the iPod is officially done?

#2 Procyin

Procyin

Dancing in the moonlight

• Regular
  • 3,135 posts
  • grey

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

For podcasts, smartphones are so much better than the iPod process ever was. I don't miss downloading, plugging in, and syncing podcasts with my iPod.

Further to your point, I love the ability to get instant gratification through the various apps you mentioned. The other day, I went down a 90's rat hole for an hour just because I could.

However! Battery life.

When I fly/travel, I still need my iPod because I can load it up and expect it to last for a lot longer than my phone. I can also get my music, podcasts, and other audio entertainment without killing my phone's battery

6TvcuCJ.png

#3 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

I can't wait for battery life to make a leap. That was easily the best part of my minidisc player, way back then. 40+ hours on a single AA. I'm lucky to make it to the end of the day with my iPhone.

#4 Procyin

Procyin

Dancing in the moonlight

• Regular
  • 3,135 posts
  • grey

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

minidisc.

I was the only one in my city to have one, I think. It was so awesome during high school. I would always fill it with J-pop and listen during class. 

But..there was the whole ATRAC conversion garbage.

6TvcuCJ.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users