Photo
- - - - -

How's your knowledge of older pop music?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:25 PM

A long time ago I was reading Pop Academy's write up on Tsunku's productions. Pop Academy's a wonderful site that aims to cover techno pop history in Japan around the world. In their Tsunku write up and elsewhere I've been delighted to see when they cite earlier songs as having similar sounds to the ones in the write up. I've tried to hunt down copies of the older stuff to compare and it's been a lot of fun. So anyway it entered my mind again this week when I heard The Emotion's "Best of my Love" on the radio and thought, "That sounds like Morning Musume's DANCE Surunoda!" Have you guys noticed any other Morning Musume songs that remind you of older songs? Here's a list of what Pop Academy heard:
  • Aisha Loan De - My Sharona: apparently this is common knowledge that the songs sound similar, but I didn't know about it!
  • Love Machine - Bananarama's version of "Venus" : They claim this is common knowledge, too, but it's hard for me to hear.
  • Koi no DANCE SITE - DSCINGHIS KHAN
    Spoiler
    I think this song name is the same as the group. It's interesting to note that Berryz Koubou did a cover of DSCINGHIS KHAN and they do have the same sound. DSCINGHIS KHAN also did the Moscow song that was popular online recently.
  • Happy Summer Wedding - Holger Czukay's "Cool in the Pool" : I don't know what to say about this french horn pop. Similar? Not really, but you gotta watch that video.
  • The Peace! - Toni Basil's "Mickey" : I think it's mainly the yelling part that's similar here.
  • Souda! We're Alive - Peter Wolf's "Lights Out" : Same as The Peace!, the yelling parts sound the same.
I'm not going to go through subgroups, but here's a start. can you think of anything else to add?

#2 HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe

esoteric:aplomb

• Regular
  • 375 posts
  • blue

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

No, I can't.

#3 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

I don't think I planned this topic out so well.

But I like the youtube links. I should add more.

#4 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:17 AM

So vocally, Perfume's Take me Take me and capsule's I'm Feeling You sound similar, but I realized just now that I'm Feeling You sounds heavily influenced musically by Kylie Minogue's Can't Get You Out of My Head.

#5 HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe

esoteric:aplomb

• Regular
  • 375 posts
  • blue

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

Wow the beat does sound similar. I wouldn't say it's "heavily influenced", though, since I don't think the flow of the lyrics has anything similar to it.

What is interesting about Take Me Take Me and I'm Feeling You is that while capsule's song is "heavier", it is perfume's that has the more over-the-top lyrics, if you will. They have a sort of kiddie version of I'm Feeling You but the lyrics are the complete opposite.

#6 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

I'm reviving this, because every so often I hear a song and go, "Ah! I've heard that before!" and I mean to post in here but then I forget. So hopefully when I remember I'll post something.

Today I was listening to The Mary Jane Girls, "All Night Long" and got Deja Vu at 3:30 in.

sounds kinda like Utada Hikaru's "Time Limit"!

#7 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Also, to make this easier for everyone to participate, post some songs that are covers and originals. Particularly, cover song's you didn't realize were covers until you heard the original!
Like this! Did you know Pizzicato 5 did a cover?
Here's the original, by the Plastics.

#8 mollipen

mollipen

If this is all that life has to offer me, then I can do without.

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown
  • Xbox Live: pikoeri

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

Urrrrrg. Your last question (about the cover songs) brings up me knowing that this has hit me more than once (I didn't know it was a cover until later), but now I can't remember any examples. I'm going to have to dig through my library to try to remember.

#9 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, I think about it when I'm listening and then I forget too quickly! There was a song I was listening to on the oldies station that sounded like a Matsuda Seiko song, but I can't remember it!

#10 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

Interesting...

#11 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

Also, when I found that above link, I also found that part of the fuzzy synth line in Rihanna's "Please Don't Stop the Music" has the same hook in it as the one in SNSD's "Tell Me Your Wish".

#12 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

I had no idea that Moritaka Chisato's 17 sai wasn't original... Thanks, Youtube Recommends.

I do love that Sega Genesis synth, though.

#13 echan

echan

Panty scissors ATTACK!

• Staff
  • 1,152 posts
  • blue
  • PSN: totalsuperhippie

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

This is kind of funny... I totally have heard that second link before. Never heard the first one, though.
DISCLAIMER: Posts often written in a drunken stupor.

Recent Music

#14 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

And for unrelated reasons, I discovered today that that girl is now married to infamous photographer Shinoyama Kishin!

Who sings a one minute song, anyway...

#15 dunlap

dunlap

dunlap suru no da!

• Manager
  • 3,095 posts
  • orange

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(dunlap @ Jun 12 2009, 02:20 PM) View Post
Today I was listening to The Mary Jane Girls, "All Night Long" and got Deja Vu at 3:30 in.

sounds kinda like Utada Hikaru's "Time Limit"!

If I ever found myself in a Karaoke bar and Hikki was there, I would do anything to get her to sing "All Night Long". It sounds so right in my head!

For today's pick, I've been trying to catch up on older capsule releases and when I got to"Sweet Time Replay" I thought it sounded a whole lot like it got recycled into Perfume's "Elevator"!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users