58 replies to this topic

#31 Kenshin

Kenshin

Extreme Customer

• Regular
  • 1,660 posts
  • green

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:02 PM

You think that Judo Butch is scary? You shoulda seen the female weightlifters...
Does it make you happy you're so strange?

#32 dokokara

dokokara

aibon o.o`

• Regular
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:12 AM

Robina Muqim Yaar

she ran the 100m for Afghanistan

she finished second to last...
:wub:

"Robina Muqim Yaar came in second to last in the 100m heats with a time of 14.14 seconds, more than three seconds slower than the fastest finish of the day."

"It was also a personal best and a national record for her native Afghanistan, and so it was with great pride that the eighteen-year-old wearing a t-shirt in a meet filled with skin tight suits raised her arms triumphantly as she crossed the finish line. "

Attached Images

• 5046518_400X300.jpg

Edited by dokokara, 22 August 2004 - 01:18 AM.

Rather than smile, or a kiss, let's beat them with a love beam move!

#33 Procyin

Procyin

Dancing in the moonlight

• Regular
  • 3,135 posts
  • grey

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:17 AM

Great story, doko. I think that says something for the potential of girls from Afghanistan these days.

edit:

I will like to note that it's about damn time Oh, Canada was played, when Shewfelt won gold in the Men's Floor Routine.

6TvcuCJ.png

#34 Ummeiko

Ummeiko

The ultimate parapara goddess Ummy.

• Regular
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:07 PM

Well... gymnastics sure has been interesting this year, to say the least...

As for where I stand, I believe Carly was the better gymnast at the all-around for the females. As much as I liked Svetlana, despite her attitude, she was not the best gymnast. I agree with her comment that gymnastics has become too mechanical, however. I miss the days of perfect tens, where grace and beauty played more of a role, and not everyone obsessed over the damn landing. (You flip twice and twist three times from nine feet up and then force your knees to come to a complete and sudden lock when you hit a mat and see how easy it is...).

I also agree that Paul should have the gold. I'm sick of people saying he should "do the right thing" and give up his gold to Tae-Young. He earned it. Judges make mistakes in EVERY sport. And already it has been pointed out that the South Korean made some errors that the judges did not take off for. Everyone's saying that the .1 addition would have made the South Korean win, but that's not the case neccessarily. There was still one more rotation, and if the judges were to go back and add that one tenth, then the Americans could protest and make them subtract the .2 for having two many holding positions... and nothing gets resolved.

http://sportsillustr....gym/index.html This is a pretty good article that sums up a lot of stuff.

As for the event finals... work kept me from seeing a good half of it. The high bar tonight was crazy though. I really believe Alexei should have gotten at least a medal. I also don't understand why there can't be ties. Both of the Hamms tied, and both got pushed down, Morgan pushed off the podium to 4th place. I know in the past ties have stood.

And above all, despite the fact that it was established to put more objectivity and less subjectivity into gymnastics judging... it's clear that the new scoring system doesn't work as well as it was supposed to, and I'd argue that it currently is worse.

#35 Dave

Dave

..almost there..

• Assistant Manager
  • 1,382 posts
  • pink

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:42 PM

Okay, I have my first complaint about lack of coverage...

There is no women wrestling televised... Japan cleaned up too,

Attached Images

• 20040823_02004004_jijp_spo_view_001.jpg

#36 Procyin

Procyin

Dancing in the moonlight

• Regular
  • 3,135 posts
  • grey

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:52 PM

It was on here, Canada had 3 or 4 in. That crazy Japanese girl kicked Canadian girls ass though in the gold medal round, I have to admit.

6TvcuCJ.png

#37 BEAT

BEAT

Jag šlskar Morning Mayonnaise !!! <3333

• Assistant Manager
  • 1,097 posts
  • brown
  • Xbox Live: batsuro
  • PSN: bzzbzz

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:21 PM

Did anyone see the post-game interview with the American girls that won the gold medal in beach volleyball? One of them was wiping the tears from her eyes with the American flag. Classic.
even jerks got to pay rent

Recent Music

#38 shidoshi

shidoshi

If this is all that life has to offer me, then I can do without.

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown
  • Xbox Live: pikoeri

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(BEAT @ Aug 24 2004, 10:21 PM)
Did anyone see the post-game interview with the American girls that won the gold medal in beach volleyball? One of them was wiping the tears from her eyes with the American flag. Classic.

Whoops...

#39 shidoshi

shidoshi

If this is all that life has to offer me, then I can do without.

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown
  • Xbox Live: pikoeri

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:20 PM

I haven't been overly backing the US during the Olympics - I usually root for the people to whom the medals would mean the most - but the US sweeping the Men's 200m was sweet. Screw that crowd. Dislike the Americans if they wanted, but they were also ruining things for the other non-American runners. As well, come on... Greek media outlets were trying to say that the United States somehow "sabotaged" their runner so that he couldn't be in that race? Give me a break.

From how it sounded, that was one of the biggest events the Greeks were looking forward to, and they were rightfully upset that their runner ended up not making the race. But come on.

#40 Procyin

Procyin

Dancing in the moonlight

• Regular
  • 3,135 posts
  • grey

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:11 PM

The problem with countries like Greek and, say, Canada is that our athletes are promoted up to superstar levels, especially when the Olympics come around.

A columnist for The Toronto Sun was talking about all the medalists we have are relative unknowns up until they win a gold, then all of a sudden everybody loves them.

All, or most, of our superstars that we expect so much of ended up crapping out in the finals. These are people that are capable of winning medals with little effort, yet they crack under the pressure of a country sitting on their shoulders.

6TvcuCJ.png

#41 Kenshin

Kenshin

Extreme Customer

• Regular
  • 1,660 posts
  • green

Posted 26 August 2004 - 11:18 PM

Donovan Bailey, who won the Men's 100m Sprint (the highest "prestige" medal of the games) and set a new world record in 1996, was from my town.

We had a big parade for him when he got back.

#42 Black Lushus Lives

Black Lushus Lives

i can give my member a title, heh heh heh

• Regular
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE(Procyin @ Aug 26 2004, 11:11 PM)
The problem with countries like Greek and, say, Canada is that our athletes are promoted up to superstar levels, especially when the Olympics come around.

A columnist for The Toronto Sun was talking about all the medalists we have are relative unknowns up until they win a gold, then all of a sudden everybody loves them.

All, or most, of our superstars that we expect so much of ended up crapping out in the finals. These are people that are capable of winning medals with little effort, yet they crack under the pressure of a country sitting on their shoulders.

I'm sure doping didn't help that image either (see: Johnson, Ben............that was the one right?)

Don't even bother listing USA track stars that dope up, though, I think it's pretty much expected anymore!
I'm in E-F-F-E-C-T, a smooth operator operatin' correctly!

#43 Procyin

Procyin

Dancing in the moonlight

• Regular
  • 3,135 posts
  • grey

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:49 AM

I remember 1996 well. At age 10 it was the birth of my anti-American spirit. My best friend's cousin came from Texas during the summer.

We watched many Olympic events, and beat him up when Americans won an event. Then when Canadians beat Americans, we laughed at him, then beat him up because his fellow countrymen sucked.

Good times.

6TvcuCJ.png

#44 Kenshin

Kenshin

Extreme Customer

• Regular
  • 1,660 posts
  • green

Posted 29 August 2004 - 12:03 PM

Looks like my town is going to have to put on another parade.

We've got someone who won both a gold and a bronze.

#45 Vanilla Weiss

Vanilla Weiss

We're from way after the day after tomorrow.

• Customer
  • 123 posts
  • Xbox Live: Vanilla Weiss

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:23 PM

Hey this is a little off topic compared to what you guys were talking about but still has to do with the Olympics. WTF was with our basketball team this year? huh.gif I mean I realize that we didn't do the usual throw a bunch of NBA superstars together to make a 'dream' team. But in an event that the US has been notorious for just dominating in for the past several Olympics, that was kinda embarassing. I had to shut it off when we were getting owned by...hmmm I think Argentina...in the QFs. Too painful to watch. It was like I was watching the NBA finals of this year again when those god damn Pistons made a fool of my hometown's team, the LA Lakers. Oh well, the US team as a whole still did well this time around as usual so it's not all bad.
One among you will shortly perish. - Janus, Chrono Trigger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users