58 replies to this topic

#16 Kenshin

Kenshin

Extreme Customer

• Regular
  • 1,660 posts
  • green

Posted 14 August 2004 - 02:37 PM

I thought American coverage focused too much on Americans. (The way they dramaticise it with sappy video biographies of the athletes always makes me nauseous.)

Anyways, you guys need to pick up some international channels. In addition to coverage on CBC, CBC French, CBC Newsworld, CBC RDI, and TSN, we also get NBC's coverage. (I head that NBC's talking heads chattered all the way through Björk's performance lastnight, which is an absolute DISGRACE to broadcasting ettiquette. Zero brains there...)
Does it make you happy you're so strange?

#17 Dave

Dave

..almost there..

• Assistant Manager
  • 1,382 posts
  • pink

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE(shidoshi @ Aug 14 2004, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE(ChangoBoy @ Aug 14 2004, 06:49 AM)
I just replaced my Tivo 40 GB HDD with TWO 120 GB Drives.  Making the unit over 240 Hours!

How much hacking can you do to a Tivo? Any sort of media-center options for them? I read that they are coming out with new $99 units, and I never knew it was so cheap a month to have Tivo.

There is actually LOTS of hacking you can do to a Tivo. In reality it's a Linux PC in a box. The series 2 models can connect to a home network and play your computer's mp3s and view pictures [standard feature]. People have found ways to upload their own bits of software into it to have it do new things, but I haven't explored it too much. I do know that adding/replacing the HDD is one of the most 'involved' hacks out there, and it took me only 1 hour to do.

As for cheapness... yeah I just picked up my second unit for $50 (after rebate) a few weeks ago from tivo.com. Now there's a deal for $79. If you (or anyone else) is planning on getting one, PM me so I can tell you how to give me referal credits! ph34r.gif

Now back on topic... So far I'm impressed with the coverage -- you just have to remember that there's stuff in as many as 6 channels out there. And if you have Tivo, you can FF over the uninteresting stuff. A good example: Woman's Air Rifle -- no Americans made the cut, but coverage nevertheless. BTW, Air Rifle wins for coolest uniforms EVER!

#18 Fury

Fury

Extreme Customer

• Regular
  • 1,015 posts
  • pink

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:42 AM

Does anyone know if there is a live video feed online?

#19 Guy-jin

Guy-jin

oldskool game whore

• Regular
  • 1,307 posts
  • orange

Posted 15 August 2004 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE(Kenshin @ Aug 14 2004, 02:37 PM)
(I head that NBC's talking heads chattered all the way through Björk's performance lastnight, which is an absolute DISGRACE to broadcasting ettiquette. Zero brains there...)

sad.gif sweat.gif

#20 Procyin

Procyin

Dancing in the moonlight

• Regular
  • 3,135 posts
  • grey

Posted 15 August 2004 - 03:34 PM

What's the story of Day 2?

In my opinion, it has to be the South African domination of the Men's swimming relay. They took out the Aussie's with their all-star Thorpe, and the American's with their all-star Phelps to create a new world record. If you didn't see the event, the South Africans had open water between them and the competitors for most of the race's duration. Kudos.

On a side note, CBC always has little culture featurettes, that showcase whatever country the Olympics are held in that year. This year, they call it "Greek to Me." Today they featured a small village on the island of Crete that is only accessable by foot or boat, leaving very few chances to come or go. So, it creates an interesting self-reliant community, without many of the problems of the modern world.

If I had the chance, I think I'd likely choose some place like this to live, instead of living under the constant pressure and necessity to succeed. I think it would be a good place to retire, at least.

6TvcuCJ.png

#21 Black Lushus Lives

Black Lushus Lives

i can give my member a title, heh heh heh

• Regular
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:00 AM

The fact that they commented throughout the ENTIRE opening cerremony was lame and retarded. Dumb ass NBC, that's why you guys don't have the NBA or the NFL anymore...oh yeah, thumbs up to USA BASKETBALL~! way to go fellas....go out the door that is...on another note, I do feel bad for that Phelps guy not getting gold, trying to go for that record, but hey that's life...
I'm in E-F-F-E-C-T, a smooth operator operatin' correctly!

#22 Ummeiko

Ummeiko

The ultimate parapara goddess Ummy.

• Regular
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:03 PM

I had to work a lot this weekend, so I didn't catch as much Olympics as I wanted. I did get to see some of Women's gymnastics. I was underimpressed. It just wasn't as exciting as it used to be. Granted, I know it's only prelims, so I'm hoping Tuesday night is better. As it is, I'm rooting for Russia and Svetlana Khorkina, because I really like Khorkina and I think she's a great gymnast.

Still, gymnastics hasn't been as exciting for me since 96. That was a great year for gymnastics. I miss the mag 7.

As far as NBC broadcasting... *shrugs* I haven't seen as much of the annoying things because I haven't been able to watch much. I do find it interesting how every different commentator pronounced Kosuke Kitajima's name differently, and I don't think anyone pronounced it correctly.

Edited by Ummeiko, 16 August 2004 - 12:06 PM.

#23 Black Lushus Lives

Black Lushus Lives

i can give my member a title, heh heh heh

• Regular
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:38 PM

The problem is that you can totally tell they're reading from cards and have no fucking clue what they're talking about...I know most announcers in any sport have cards and info in front of them at all times, but it just seems like they don't even really care what they're talking about...there's a certain passion that comes with announcing which these folks severly lack...listen to Al Michaels call football or Marv Albert call basketball or what's his name that does almost every hockey game on EPSN and ABC to hear what I mean
I'm in E-F-F-E-C-T, a smooth operator operatin' correctly!

#24 Vanilla Weiss

Vanilla Weiss

We're from way after the day after tomorrow.

• Customer
  • 123 posts
  • Xbox Live: Vanilla Weiss

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:19 AM

meh, I say just let Bob Costas do all the announcing. Everyone already knows who he is and that he's legit.
One among you will shortly perish. - Janus, Chrono Trigger

#25 Ummeiko

Ummeiko

The ultimate parapara goddess Ummy.

• Regular
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:11 PM

I must say that this year men's gymnastics has been much more exciting than women's. Japan was awesome to watch in the Team Finals... the unfortunate part is that until both Romania and the US struggled a bit, NBC didn't show much of Japan. They had some beautiful High Bar routines though.

Men's all-around was just amazing. To see Paul Hamm, or anyone, come back from such a horrible vault to win... it was beautiful. For those who didn't see or hear about it, vault was his fourth rotation, and he botched the landing so badly that he sat down and slid off the mat onto the judge's table. But two solid routines on Parallel Bars and High Bar (9.837 each I think), plus having his closest competitor falter on High Bar, and he pulled out a win over two South Koreans by .012. It was beautiful. Everyone thought he had no chance after vault.

On the women's side... the team finals were alright. Romania deserved to win because they were consistent. I was really pulling for Svetlana Khorkina to win the all-around, but Carly was clearly the better gymnast last night.

High board diving starts this weekend, so I'm looking forward to that too. I'm not a big fan of Track and Field, but right now the 10,000 meter is on, and I'm just amazed at their endurance. I could never do that.

#26 Mooph

Mooph

Your *moma

• Regular
  • 930 posts
  • blue
  • Xbox Live: Mooph

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:23 PM

How about those female fencers? The 11th ranked in the world comes forward to win bronze after having a healthy lead on her romanian opponent for a large part of the match (was an exciting one to watch) and another who wasn't even ranked high enough to be at these olympics but was fortunate in that a member of another countries squad had to drop out came through to win the gold; the first american to win fencing gold in 100 years. I really wish I had been home to see that match.
Recent Music

#27 Procyin

Procyin

Dancing in the moonlight

• Regular
  • 3,135 posts
  • grey

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:24 PM

My big dissapointment was Japan's 9-1 thrashing of Canada in baseball. I guess we needed to come down from the high of only haveing 3 runs against in 4 games (3 shutouts).

6TvcuCJ.png

#28 * ˜Z *

* ˜Z *

Murmur Twins

• Regular
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 12:38 AM

Don't worry. It's almost time for track and field. The fun will begin soon.

#29 Dave

Dave

..almost there..

• Assistant Manager
  • 1,382 posts
  • pink

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(shidoshi @ Aug 14 2004, 02:48 PM)
Anyhow, back on topic... any cuties on Team Japan?

Still on the lookout...

You notice how golden tanned the Tennis Doubles girls and Beach Volleyball girls were? wub.gif

On the other hand, anyone see the Japans Gold Metalist for Judo? Yikes! ph34r.gif

Attached Files

#30 BEAT

BEAT

Jag älskar Morning Mayonnaise !!! <3333

• Assistant Manager
  • 1,097 posts
  • brown
  • Xbox Live: batsuro
  • PSN: bzzbzz

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:27 PM

HULK SMASH!!!
even jerks got to pay rent