Photo
- - - - -

The sleeper hits game thread

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 mollipen

mollipen

If this is all that life has to offer me, then I can do without.

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown
  • Xbox Live: pikoeri

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:46 AM

I am SO ordering that.

#77 Guy-jin

Guy-jin

oldskool game whore

• Regular
  • 1,307 posts
  • orange

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:44 AM

looks like fun!

#78 Finch

Finch

_7 love

• Regular
  • 1,664 posts
  • orange

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:32 AM

I'm tempted with Rhythm Heaven... but i can't quite get over that it's Wario Ware with catchiness.
I do, however, love that Gameboy Advance is becoming the hipster's system of choice. Sleek, simple, sekushee.
dream to be a duck

remember
Jenn Rose
Mode7
lalala
Jody Gabriel

#79 Finch

Finch

_7 love

• Regular
  • 1,664 posts
  • orange

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:57 AM

Oh, and more Bit Generations stuff is up. Orbital and Coloris look hypnotic, but DigiDrive and SoundVoyager look confounding. Still, i almost want to get SoundVoyager on concept alone.
dream to be a duck

remember
Jenn Rose
Mode7
lalala
Jody Gabriel

#80 Finch

Finch

_7 love

• Regular
  • 1,664 posts
  • orange

Posted 04 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

Picked up Coloris and Orbital. Coloris is worth the world. It's the most fun i've had with a puzzle game since Lumines, and i'm leaning towards Coloris being a little better. Lumines relied on pretty colors and crazy beats, but Coloris gets by just on colors itself. Some of the advanced stages are beautiful, with the blocks being eclipsed, or having animation of cherry blossoms drifting across them.
The gameplay itself is pretty different from any puzzle game i've played. It is matching colors, but it's also using the spectrum to turn the colors towards or away from one end of it. Maybe that's been done, but i've never seen it. The game also rewards you very nicely with sounds designed by Keigo Oyamada, also known as Cornelius. I wish there was a little bit more to the sound design itself, since it uses the same sounds from stage to stage, but beyond that it's still beautiful.

Orbital is tough to say yet, but it feels like it's something i just haven't gotten the hang of. It's an interesting idea, but i'm not sure it all rolls together.
Using the a and b buttons only, a for attract and b for repel, you control a little planet floating through space, using only the gravitational pull of your planet to other planets. If you get to close to another planet, you'll crash, but you have to get just close enough to be brought in to the planet's orbit. Then you can swing off to pick up little satelites, building until you're big enough to pick up another planet. It's a little Katamari, a little King of Swing, but it's mostly unique in itself.
At first, the music is very amorphous, with screeches and beeps, but as you pick up the little satelites and planets, it forms something of its own. When you pick up the moon, the bonus in every stage, the tune changes to a very sad 3 notes. It's all simple music, but it works especially well with Orbital.
dream to be a duck

remember
Jenn Rose
Mode7
lalala
Jody Gabriel

#81 mollipen

mollipen

If this is all that life has to offer me, then I can do without.

• Owner
  • 10,402 posts
  • brown
  • Xbox Live: pikoeri

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:17 PM

For anybody interested in Rule of Rose, be sure to look at the forums on here that don't get looked at very often.

#82 Finch

Finch

_7 love

• Regular
  • 1,664 posts
  • orange

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(Finch @ Nov 16 2004, 06:24 AM) View Post
What about the Shin Megami titles that are finally getting a chance? Not that they'll succeed, but they're at least worth a mention.

LAWL. Welcome to this year of 9 years later where SMT is the only jrpg series that's nearly guaranteed to come out here. And we got some game called "Ni no Kuni". The fuck? Who's going to buy a game with such a Japanese title?
dream to be a duck

remember
Jenn Rose
Mode7
lalala
Jody Gabriel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users